Q6 busted (Read 3257 times)
raz

Guzzi 11OO Sport, My16MkV,
Innovate LC-1

Stockholm, Sweden
Q6 busted
08/02/13 at 03:54:30

Hi

I just repaired a dead My16M, Mk IV or so, and it quickly turned out Q6 was busted. I replaced it and all is fine. What could have caused this (provided it wasn't just a bad component in the first place - it had thousands of kilometers on it though)? What does Q6 do? Is this the one that latches the relay?

raz
« Last Edit: 08/02/13 at 03:55:40 by raz »  

59° North
1100 Sport iniezione elettronica -- the perfect merge of a superbike and a steam train

IP Logged

YaBB Administrator
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB!

The Land of YaBB
Re: Q6 busted
Reply #1 - 08/02/13 at 10:28:47

I've seen a few of those failures. It failed with the ECU constantly powered right?

Q6 is the FET that pulls the ECU power relay. Its gate is fed via a voltage divider but I think there is some inductance there that is causing a spike to take out the FET.
On later versions I have added a cap in parallel with the resistor to ground as you can see here.
http://www.cajinnovations.com/MyECU/My16MMkVII/pics/My16M_PCB.png

You should add the cap, 0.1uF, to yours.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

raz

Guzzi 11OO Sport, My16MkV,
Innovate LC-1

Stockholm, Sweden
Reply #2 - 08/02/13 at 20:14:47

If you mean powered regardless of ignition switch, I'm not sure. Running off 9V the boost voltage and 5V were alright but fuel pump did not prime - a little unintuitive to me but I started with checking the FETs so I found it immediately. I'll consider adding the cap. Maybe certain relays are worse, I think mine has internal caps or resistors and that could mitigate the problem too, right? This one failed on a friends bike.
« Last Edit: 08/02/13 at 20:20:37 by raz »  

59° North
1100 Sport iniezione elettronica -- the perfect merge of a superbike and a steam train

IP Logged

YaBB Administrator
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB!

The Land of YaBB
Reply #3 - 08/03/13 at 08:57:00

That sounds like the same failure. It doesn't prime because it does not turn on with the key. Its already on.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print