Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
MyECU main site
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Instant Communications options (Read 7952 times)
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB!

The Land of YaBB
Instant Communications options
04/05/11 at 12:05:06

Traditionally most communication between myself and yourselves has been through email and more recently this forum.
I'm interested to hear if you think some more modern methods may benefit.

For instance Skype would be convenient as it has instant messaging and a fall back to voice.

Other possibilities are Yahoo messenger and Gtalk

What are your thoughts?

The Administrator.
IP Logged

YaBB Administrator
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB!

The Land of YaBB
Re: Instant Communications options
Reply #1 - 04/05/11 at 13:46:05

Skype on Android seems to be lacking some features like SMS and video at this time but Yahoo Messenger looks feature rich.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Rat Patrol

I love MyECU!

Reply #2 - 04/05/11 at 21:27:10

I've always been happy with your response time, either via email or on the forum. I've never waited more than 12 hours for a response and i've just chalked that up to the time zone difference.

It seems you've got customers all over the globe, unless you're not planning on sleeping, we may just have to be a little patient.

To answer your question, this forum gives me almost immediate feedback. In most cases, the question I'm asking has already been discussed and I just need to search.

One comment, there isn't a link to your main web page from the forum page, unless I've missed it. That would be helpful to beginners. Another option to consider is "Stickies" or posts that remain at the top of the qeue and have the answers to common questions.

Pete

IP Logged

YaBB Administrator
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB!

The Land of YaBB
Reply #3 - 04/06/11 at 17:22:16

I was about to add a link to these forums when I noticed I already had. It's at the bottom of the left hand pane. It's not  very noticeable though is it. Where do you think would be better.

For stickies it appears that is available already albeit as an administrator's option.  So make your suggestions.

Yes instant global communications would be tricky. With an android phone I do have access to email and forum instantly anyway and these would be the preferred options.
Offering voice and video may help with some quick diagnostics especially if you're on the road and is a bit more efficient if all you have is a smartphone.
Maybe I'm just trying to keep up with the Jones Cool

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Rat Patrol

I love MyECU!

Reply #4 - 04/06/11 at 21:30:21

As for the link, I frequently see a site's logo at the top of the page that is a hyperlink to the site. Don't know if that's an option with the software you use.

As for stickies, the typical new guy stuff. Assembly, hookup, first start problems & cures. Really, you could take some of the good threads you've already got and just pin those.

Thinking of oddball ideas, another thing that I've seen used to good effect is Youtube videos. You can explain how to flash a chip, but a 45 second video makes it so much clearer. When rebuilding my bike I was helped immensely by videos of rebuilding forks, relacing wheels, checking tmiing belts, etc.

The videos don't have to be production quality, your phone takes good enough videos. They're also a decent advertising tool.

I wouldn't worry about 24 hour support, now that you have the forum many of the general questions can be answered here.

Pete

IP Logged

raz

Guzzi 11OO Sport, My16MkV,
Innovate LC-1

Stockholm, Sweden
Reply #5 - 04/06/11 at 22:47:38

YaBB Administrator wrote on 04/06/11 at 17:22:16:
I was about to add a link to these forums when I noticed I already had. It's at the bottom of the left hand pane. It's not  very noticeable though is it. Where do you think would be better.

I think that one is OK, maybe you could promote it to be near the top of that pane.
But there is no link in the other direction, is it? From forum to web. Not too important but I find myself looking for one now and then. Traditionally, that "Yabb 2.4" logo is replaced with a site specific logo and clicking that logo could lead to the main web.

As for the other questions I'm very happy with our communications and this forum vastly improved user-to-user communications too.

59° North
1100 Sport iniezione elettronica -- the perfect merge of a superbike and a steam train

IP Logged

Mad Farquhar

Slainthe mhath

Black Isle, Scotland
Reply #6 - 04/07/11 at 06:40:18

Skype with video could be good. For example a laptop with webcam could be held up to show circuit boards or optimiser displays or screen shots of computer screens. Apart from that, this forum and email is fine. I often find the delay between hemispheres frustrating - not because of the wait for the answer but because it dawns on me where I went wrong whilst waiting. Makes me out to be an even bigger plonker than I am.
Of course if we go Skype we would need to use google translate IIRC!! Smiley

edit: Your admin www link in your answer pane on the forum takes us to the YaBB website - how about changing it to a MyECU website link instead?
« Last Edit: 04/07/11 at 06:48:16 by Mad Farquhar »  

MG Sport 1100 inj
Triking
Honda ST1100
V7 Stone

IP Logged

YaBB Administrator
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB!

The Land of YaBB
Reply #7 - 04/07/11 at 07:40:47

I see google can translate Welsh and Irish but not Scottish. Cheesy

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Rat Patrol

I love MyECU!

Reply #8 - 04/07/11 at 07:40:52

raz wrote on 04/06/11 at 22:47:38:
[quote author=56535A5E59370 link=1301969106/3#3 date=1302074536]...But there is no link in the other direction, is it? From forum to web. Not too important but I find myself looking for one now and then. Traditionally, that "Yabb 2.4" logo is replaced with a site specific logo and clicking that logo could lead to the main web.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. A link FROM here TO the main page.

IP Logged

greenmonster

Sweden

Reply #9 - 04/07/11 at 08:41:06

I am happy w mail replys + this Forum.

Quote:
Thinking of oddball ideas, another thing that I've seen used to good effect is Youtube videos. You can explain how to flash a chip, but a 45 second video makes it so much clearer.

Instruction video f flashing is a very good idea!
« Last Edit: 04/07/11 at 09:52:37 by greenmonster »  

Ducati 907IE  MyECU P8

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print