Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
MyECU main site
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PCB Board Connector is Too Tall (Read 8555 times)
sign216

PCB Board Connector is Too Tall
02/09/12 at 07:55:50

The black connector for the raw (unbuilt) PCB board is too tall for the donor ECU case.  The metal lid doesn't "sit down."  I could seal it with two lines of caulk, but it wouldn't be a pretty sight. 
I'm also thinking of cutting 1 or 2 mm off the top of the connector with a dremel cut-off wheel, to give room for the lid.

I'd post pictures, but this forum doesn't allow pictures to be uploaded from my computer.  Any answers to that issue as well?

Joe

IP Logged

YaBB Administrator
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB!

The Land of YaBB
Re: PCB Board Connector is Too Tall
Reply #1 - 02/09/12 at 08:12:03

Access to this connector is required for communication with the PC.

I generally cut the lid to fit around the connector but this decision is open to your own judgement.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

sign216

Reply #2 - 02/09/12 at 10:37:14

Okay, thanks for the info.  I'll cut around it.

IP Logged

Mad Farquhar

Slainthe mhath

Black Isle, Scotland
Reply #3 - 02/09/12 at 23:28:48

Posting pics - see the Forum Help pages. You will need a "remote" stash e.g. Flickr or Picasa to upload to then use the image link onto the YaBB forum. Think it's to do with mimising storage on the BB and also prevent malware. It's a bit tortuous however I use Picasa. Mind you since joining Google+ recently strange stuff is happening betwixt Picasa and G+ - haven't quite worked out what is happening yet. That's why my pic on Bobs query has disappeared. Will sort it in a day or two.

MG Sport 1100 inj
Triking
Honda ST1100
V7 Stone

IP Logged

sign216

Reply #4 - 02/10/12 at 05:35:52

Mad Farquhar wrote on 02/09/12 at 23:28:48:
Posting pics - see the Forum Help pages. You will need a "remote" stash e.g. Flickr or Picasa to upload to then use the image link onto the YaBB forum. Think it's to do with mimising storage on the BB and also prevent malware. It's a bit tortuous however I use Picasa. Mind you since joining Google+ recently strange stuff is happening betwixt Picasa and G+ - haven't quite worked out what is happening yet. That's why my pic on Bobs query has disappeared. Will sort it in a day or two.

Thanks Farquhar.  I belong to Flicker, so I'll use that to post pictures here.

IP Logged

Bobd

I am slowly developing
a relationship with MyEcu.

Southampton
Reply #5 - 02/10/12 at 07:26:52

I stuck a piece of white paper inside the cover, then inked the top of the black RJ45 connector. Carefully aligned the cover and pressed down hard, I got a good imprint of where to cut out, probably more accurate than measuring.  I then drilled each corner 2mm and cut out the hole with a chisel....OK it was an old screwdriver.  I cut it out 2mm too small so I could bend the edges over similar to the edge of the cover to give the sealant a chance. Be carefull not to short out the RJ45 connector wires on the side.

IP Logged

Luhbo

I Like My15M!

Germany
Reply #6 - 02/17/12 at 08:19:18

Why do want to seal them? There are switches inside, and besides that it's always better to have such a device open (I mean vented even, windows open) instead of 'sort of sealed'. And what sealing stuff would you take? Silicon will destroy the electronics, so search for something different.

Hubert

IP Logged

Bobd

I am slowly developing

Southampton
Reply #7 - 02/17/12 at 09:20:07

True, why seal when there is the open RJ45 connector which would let in water - and of course the little black vent has to let the air in for the sensor. I suppose it just seemed a tidy thing to do. As for silicon, cannot imagine that would do much harm unless you wanted to paint it of course. I guess any non-hardening compound would do.
« Last Edit: 02/17/12 at 09:22:28 by Bobd »  

IP Logged

Luhbo

I Like My15M!

Germany
Reply #8 - 02/17/12 at 22:29:41

mount the ecu so that the connectors are pointing downwards and no water will get inside. Of course humidity will - that's why I added the 'windows open' picture: the easier the ventilation the quicker the pcb will dry again. The black Gore-Tex plug is not a ventilation as such, it only prevents the ecu to suck in water through the connector (or in one case even through the harness - it was a bigger ecu/housing). Of course in this case (sealed OEM housing) it also enables the pressure sensor to do it's job.
Silicon contains/produces 'Ant Acid'. It's not good for a DIY PCB like ours, especially combined with humidity.
Hubert

IP Logged

Bobd

I am slowly developing

Southampton
Reply #9 - 02/18/12 at 10:21:27

I understand silicon sealers extract moisture from the air when curing and release acetic acid as a bi-product.  Acetic acid is vinegar so you are probably right to suggest it is not a good idea. I guess ant acid is a translation thing.

For the sake of comedy, here is my attempt at saying that in German.

Ich weise silicon stoffe arbeit mit wasser von der luft und gebe saure, nicht ein gute idea .

IP Logged

Luhbo

I Like My15M!

Germany
Reply #10 - 02/19/12 at 02:37:55

Hey, if it's not bubblefish then it's more than adequate. I met more but one who travelled Germany with not much more than "Bratwurst" and "Frollein" ^^

I looked up Ameisensäure, it's translated correctly as 'formic' acid, of course.

Hubert

IP Logged

Bobd

I am slowly developing

Southampton
Reply #11 - 02/19/12 at 03:25:44

How true, in a happy mood now as I've just completed assemble of the Optimiser and after a couple af problems it now appears to work. But...  I cannot find the bolts that hold the fairing on! Must have put them somewhere safe. May have to use plastic tywraps for a test ride.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print